Healing Leaky Gut - My Story In First For Women Magazine
Click on the photo to open a high-res version you can easily read.
This spread was featured in the June 2015 edition of the nationally circulated (you see it in all the grocery store checkout lanes!) First For Women Magazine.
I remember when Julie first reached out to me telling me that she was a writer for the "Tiredness Cure" column and that she wanted to tell my leaky gut healing story, at first, I was like....but what does tiredness have to do with leaky gut??!
And then I reflected back on the time before I healed and I remembered, oh yeah, it has everything to do with leaky gut.
I remember feeling too tired to be able to walk 3/4 mi from my condo to glorious Miami Beach. I remember having to say "no" to going out to enjoy the nightlife of the incredible city Miami. I remember having to say "no", sorry, I can't travel because I don't have the energy.
I basically had to say "no" to having a life when I had leaky gut syndrome.
Are you ready to say "yes" to having a life again? "Yes" to healthy digestion, good energy, no more food intolerances, relief from acne, eczema, rosacea, hidradenitis suppurativa (which I put into remission), and to feeling like you can fully participate in life again?
I invite you to check out the Gut Health Super Bundle, which ends TODAY, Monday 3/27 at 11:59 PM EDT
Besides getting my $15 eBook MUDDLED - which features delicious beverages boosted with gut-healing collagen to lift your spirits and delight your taste buds while you are healing your gut - you also get access to an incredible wealth of information from trusted experts that will both EMPOWER and EDUCATE you so that you feel confident you can take charge of your gut health.
Because YOU CAN HEAL YOUR GUT. Even if you think it's been too abused to recover, you're wrong.
Listen, my history is pretty insane, and I was still able to heal.
- I've been (over)prescribe at least 100 rounds of antibiotics in my lifetime
- At age 5 my pediatrician almost killed me by causing an allergic reaction after putting me on double rounds of antibiotics for 6 months for respiratory infections
- Not surprisingly, I got sick ALL THE TIME throughout the rest of my childhood. The same pediatrician treated me until I went to college, and always prescribed at least one, sometimes two antibiotics to treat any type of respiratory condition
- In my teens I started to get chronic urinary tract infections (UTIs). For a while I got them once a month, with my period, and took a round of antibiotics to treat each one.
- At college my doctor always prescribed antibiotics for every sniffle or cold "to be on the safe side" since back then I was a smoker
- After college when I developed the skin condition hidradenitis suppurativa as well as horrible acne, a dermatologist put me on chronic antibiotics that I only took a break when I would inevitably develop a yeast infection, and I would only stop the antibiotics long enough to treat the yeast. This went on for over a year.
- I did not include any fermented foods or probiotics until AFTER I decided to get off the crazy train called Western medicine. So there was no replenishing of any beneficial bacteria until just a few years ago.
- Now I'm thinking 100 rounds may still be a low estimate....
Even with this total obliteration of my intestinal flora in the first 25 years of my life, I was STILL ABLE TO HEAL MY GUT.
There are multiple paths to healing (and they are covered in The Gut Health Super Bundle), but what I used was a functional medicine approach. The 5R's:
Remove, Replace, Reinoculate, Repair, Rebalance
Diet is only 1/5 of the protocol, which is why going on the autoimmune protocol (AIP) and doing nothing else will NOT heal your gut. This is a horrible, dangerous misconception and it breaks my heart that people still go on AIP believing they will heal their gut in a few months.
If you are ready to take the plunge and finally say YES to a healthy gut, but feel overwhelmed with where to start and what exactly you need to do, then please, pick up a copy of The Gut Health Super Bundle.
You won't regret it. A year from now you will be looking back and thanking yourself for investing in your good health.