Ok, let's go ahead and talk about it right from the start: this dish is NOT photogenic. In fact, it's kinda ugly when it comes out of the Instant Pot (most things are!). But what it lacks in looks, oh boy does it make up for in taste. I mean SERIOUSLY. It has all the flavors of Thanksgiving in one easy, one pot meal.
I had the idea to create this dish the other night when I was looking at the pile of sweet potatoes from the farmer's market, the cranberries in the fridge, the mandarin oranges leftover from my ambrosia recipe (it's in here), and the thawed chicken I needed to cook. I thought: "surely there is a way to combine these into a one-pot meal". And, looking at the time, I realized my only choice was to use the Instant Pot. This recipe would also work in a slow cooker if you've got 4-6 hours to spare, but I didn't.
So, I tried an experiment, and it turned out better than I could have hoped for!
I have been in the Thanksgiving spirit all month long so far with my new eBook The Allergy-Free Holiday Table. Inside you will find the best traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas dishes from my Southern family made Top 8 Allergen-free and compliant for the autoimmune protocol (AIP). I'm talking green "bean" casserole, lemon cake, Italian cream cake, gingerbread men, salted caramels, sugar cookies, apple pie, and MORE.
Thanksgiving Chicken Medley (Paleo, AIP, Instant Pot)
This is the lazy person's way to enjoy all the flavors of Thanksgiving without dirtying any dishes except for your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 Mandarin oranges, separated into wedges
- 4 TB dark robust maple syrup (formerly known as Grade B)
- 1 TB pumpkin pie spice (substitute mace for the nutmeg and omit allspice for strictest AIP)
- 1-1/2 cups bone broth (I use this one in a pinch if I run out of homemade
- one 3 lb chicken (or chicken parts or turkey parts)
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes, slice onion, and peel oranges then separate into wedgest. Add to bottom of Instant Pot.
- Add cranberries, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and bone broth.
- Rub chicken (or turkey parts) with salt and place on top of your medley.
- Close Instant Pot, ensure the vent is CLOSED, and press "poultry", then the + until display reads 30.
- Allow about 60 minutes from start to finish for this recipe to cook. Use the quick release method for the steam.
- Meat will be falling apart tender - be careful of bones falling off. Lift out the meat and strain the sweet potato mixture. Reserve excess broth for anoter use (would be a great soup base!)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: to cook this in a slow cooker, allow 4 to 8 hours for the chicken to cook through on low (cooking times can vary widely depending on your model).
Cook time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 5 mins.