Brought to you by my trusted partner Perfect Supplements. All opinions are my own. Purchases made through some links in this post earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you, which supports the free content on this site.
Since finishing writing Latin American Paleo Cooking (releasing 8/22/17!) I have been focusing on fast, easy, nutrient-dense recipes that don't sacrifice on flavor. Desserts can be some of the most time-intensive recipes, especially when they are allergen-free and/or AIP, which is why I wanted to perfect a truly simple and deliciously healthy treat: avocado pudding.
Now, I know what you may be thinking - avocado for dessert? What??!
The beauty of avocado pudding is that it is a no cook recipe. All you need is 5 minutes and a food processor and you are DONE.
Avocados are actually fantastic as a base for dairy-free puddings since they are so rich and creamy once pureed. And with the right recipe you will never even taste a hint of avocado flavor - I promise!
I never do anything halfway so when I set out to make an avocado pudding I wanted it to be SO GOOD that you didn't feel like you were compromising on flavor or texture.
I figured out the trick to avocado pudding so good you'll crave it: you gotta blend the avocado with another fruit. This accomplishes several things:
- it drastically improves the texture
- it truly hides any and all trace of avocado flavor
- it increases the nutrient-density and helps you achieve your 9 cups per day on Wahls protocol
- it reduces or eliminates the need to add a sweetener
But I didn't want to just stop with making it delicious - I wanted to make it nutrient-dense. And thanks to my partner Perfect Supplements I sure accomplished that goal!
HEY! Save 10% off your Perfect Supplements order with code CURIOUS10
Hiding Fermented kale in Pudding
So, I really have to pat myself on the back with this recipe, because I managed to sneak in not only protein in the form of Perfect Supplements Grass-Fed Hydrolyzed Collagen, but also probiotics AND a decent serving of kale thanks to Perfect Supplements Organic Fermented Kale Powder.
All of that hidden nutrition is just that - hidden. This pudding takes me back to childhood, it tastes so incredible! Even the pickiest of eaters would never know you snuck in not just kale but FERMENTED kale into this delightful dessert.
I am kind of ridiculously excited about this fermented kale powder, and let me tell you why:
- It is 100% organic
- The nutrients are more bioavailable than in raw or cooked kale due to the fermentation process
- One 3g scoop has the nutrition of about 1/3 cup chopped fresh kale
- It is suitable for AIP, Paleo, Whole30, & Wahls Protocol
- It is a convenient way to ensure you get dark leafy greens into your diet even if you are traveling, busy, or unable to source organic kale
- It contains beneficial enzymes and probiotics and is a great supplement to your diet (especially if you don't like to fool with homemade fermented food)
- One container has 60 servings making it an economical choice
- It contains no nuts, seeds, nightshades, fillers, or other potentially pro-inflammatory ingredients for sensitive folks <-- this is actually really rare for any type of greens supplement!
One serving of Perfect Supplements Fermented Kale contains all of this:
- 9 Calories
- 1654 IU Vitamin A
- 22mg of Vitamin C
- 25mg of Calcium
- 83mg of Potassium
- 0.32mg of Iron
- 6.32mg of Magnesium
- 46.14mcg Vitamin K
- 31.29mcg Vitamin K2
- 20% Protein by Weight
- 12% Fiber by Weight
I think it tastes AMAZING all by itself mixed up in a glass of water (and I like to add a scoop of collagen to it, too, for added nutrition), but I love all things "green" including green teas and green juices. If you aren't a fan of greenery the great news is that you can sneak it into this pudding and NOBODY will be the wiser!
If you have picky kids, picky spouse, or heck if you yourself are picky but want to boost your intake of daily greens and/or add a new source of beneficial bacteria to your diet, you are going to love this stuff!
Remember, CURIOUS10 gets you 10% off your order!
Hydrolyzed Collagen vs Gelatin
Some pudding recipes will call for gelatin, which you must bloom then melt to use. That's great for coconut milk based puddings (like my chocolate and vanilla), but for this no-cook avocado pudding you can improve the texture and make it more satiating (and healthy) by adding in collagen (which dissolves in any temp liquid) instead of needing to fool with gelatin.
So what's the difference between gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen? Hydrolyzed collagen is simply gelatin that has been treated with natural enzymes to break it down into short chain peptides, which dissolve easily in room temp or even chilled liquids. It may also be called "cold soluble gelatin". Regular gelatin requires HOT liquid to dissolve.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body, and regularly consuming it in your diet can significantly contribute to your good health across a variety of systems in your body. Collagen is one of the reasons why bone broth is such a nourishing food, but if you struggle to consume bone broth often, you can supplement with collagen. Just look at all these potential health benefits of collagen:
- improved hair, skin, and nail health
- improved joint health
- improved gut health (I supplemented religiously when I was healing leaky gut syndrome)
- reduce inflammation
- support a healthy appetite (prevent over-eating)
- promote deeper sleep
Perfect Supplements grass-fed collagen and gelatin are VERY ECONOMICAL with the lowest price per gram of leading grass-fed collagen brands.
I know my fellow frugal shoppers are saying HECK YEAH right now! And when you apply my special 10% off coupon CURIOUS10 exclusive to my readers, you are saving a HUGE BUNDLE!
More Finds in the Perfect Supplements Store
My jaw hit the floor when I saw just how much amazing stuff Perfect Supplements carries in their online store. They beat Amazon on quite a few things I regularly buy and carry some things that I am really excited to incorporate into my diet!
Desiccated Grass-Fed Liver Capsules
You've heard it a million times - liver is nature's multivitamin and a crucial component of a healthy Paleo diet since it is so rich in so many micronutrients that may otherwise be difficult to obtain in sufficient quantities. I recommend sourcing your liver and other organ meats from well-raised, grass-fed and pastured animals - not from factory farmed animals.
Some people love to eat liver - beef, pork, chicken, and whatever else. But other people really struggle to get used to the taste of liver. Others have trouble sourcing organ meats from pasture raised, healthy animals. Whatever the reason you're struggling to regularly consume liver, these Perfect Supplements Grass-Fed Dessicated Liver Capsules are just what you've been looking for!
They are derived from 100% grass-fed cows from Argentina and are made from non-defatted liver, making them minimally processed.
4 capsules of this Dessicated Liver is one 3 gram serving and contains:
- 70% protein by weight
- 2.8 mg iron
- 969 IU vitamin A (over 30% of the RDA)
- 5.5 mcg natural B12 (over 200% of the RDA)
This isn't a substitute for hardcore offal consumption on a program like Wahls Protocol, but for most people this will give you a very significant nutrition boost and quite probably a noticeable energy boost. Tim Ferriss swears by the energy boosting qualities of these exact pills!
Dessicated liver pills + fermented kale powder = a powerful, convenient nutrition boost any time you need a pick me up, especially when traveling.
Prescript Assist Soil Based Probiotics
I have been using Prescript Assist for many years, they are one of my favorite probiotics since they are composed of soil-based organisms (SBOs), containing an impressive 29 different strains. They are broad spectrum and also contain prebiotics (which are food for probiotics). Prescript Assist was an important component of the functional medicine protocol I utilized to heal leaky gut syndrome.
SBOs are things we used to regularly consume in our diets before the food system became industrialized. These bacteria are different from normal resident gut bacteria - rather than colonizing and remaining long-term, their stay is transient. Scientists are still working to understand in more detail why these transient SBOs are beneficial to us, and how they may interact with our commensal bacteria to promote health. I personally noticed a bit shift in my digestive health when I began taking these, and I know many practitioners who see great clinical results using these in their practice. If you have question or concerns definitely chat with your practitioner about adding Prescript Assist to your supplement regimen! :-)
Remember that you can score a nice discount on these probiotics with my special 10% off coupon! You won't find these probiotics for a lower price anywhere else. Use code CURIOUS10.
Here are a few other products in their store that caught my eye, which you may want to snag at a 10% off discount:
- Ancient Minerals Magnesium Flakes (I use these to make my own magnesium spray for transdermal magnesium supplementation)
- Rosita Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil - available in liquid or capsule form
- Ancient Organics Ghee
- Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Capsules (I keep these on hand in case I ever feel like I'm coming down with a cold)
- Perfect Supplements Aquatic Greens (a blend of chlorella and spirulina)
Plus dozens and dozens of more high quality supplements - browse the entire catalog here and take advantage of the 10% off coupon just for my readers!
Use CURIOUS10 for 10% off coupon at Perfect Supplements!
And now, without further ado, here is this amazing no cook, probiotic protein pudding for you! It's Paleo, Primal, Dairy-Free, has an AIP option (just use carob instead of the cocoa), and is even suitable for the Wahls Protocol to help you get your 9 cups of fruits and veggies today.
And for your reference I have provided the nutrition information below (using cocoa, not carob, and omitting the optional honey). This is for the entire recipe, which I will sometimes eat in one sitting, but if you're feeling generous, or not all that hungry, this is a great recipe to split in half and share with someone you like a lot.
Just look at those numbers: 21g fiber, 28g protein, 1.5mg manganese, 2.5mg B5, 2.5mg zinc.....in my Cronometer profile this pudding satisfies 35% of my daily micronutrient needs....that's pretty dang amazing for a healthy dessert!
Not that I believe anybody should ever feel guilty for the food they eat, but this recipe is what you would call "guilt-free".
Probiotic Mint Chocolate Blueberry Avocado Protein Pudding (with hidden kale!) - Paleo, AIP option, Wahls Protocol
Finally, an avocado pudding so delicious you'll crave seconds. Not only is it tasty, it is jam-packed with extra nutrition from the blueberries and two Perfect Supplements products: Hydrolyzed Collagen and Fermented Kale Powder.
- 1 ripe hass avocado (about 150 grams peeled and pitted)
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries (about 160-180 grams)
- 2 scoops of Perfect Supplements Hydrolyzed Collagen
- 1 scoop of Perfect Supplements Fermented Kale Powder
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp cocoa or carob powder
- juice of 1 lime (about 1 tbsp)
- optional: 1 tbsp raw honey (or adjusted to taste)
- optional: a drop or two of peppermint extract (adjust to taste - it is POTENT!) this one is extracted in alcohol, and this one in sunflower oil
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice to ensure even blending.
- Taste it without adding honey or peppermint extract - add in either or both to suit your tastebuds!
- May be eaten immediately or served after chilling in the refrigerator for a few hours. Best eaten within 24-36 hours of preparation. The good news is that it is so very simple to make, that it is easy to make a fresh batch when the craving strikes.
- NOTE: do not use an overripe avocado for this recipe as it may result in an "off" flavor. Use those for guacamole, guac stuffed chicken breasts, or guac stuffed chicken nuggets instead!
Cook time: 00 hrs. 0 mins.
Total time: 5 mins.Tags: paleo, AIP, gluten-free, egg-free, autoimmune protocol, dessert, Wahls protocol, Perfect Supplements, grass-fed collagen, fermented kale, probiotics, hidden vegetables