There is nothing that brings me back to my childhood more than fried salmon patties. I can remember running to the kitchen when my mom or grandma would open the canned salmon to get ready to make the patties so that I could gobble up the bones. Some of you will get it - they are the best part about a can of salmon! If you've never tried them, you are missing out :-)
Of course, my family's recipe used white flour and eggs. I'm OK with using eggs as a binder, but I know many of my readers are not, so I have gotten in the habit of simply not cooking with eggs for the sake of my readers. #yesireallydocareaboutyou!
This morning I needed a quick and easy breakfast and was tired of sausage, so I whipped up this creation. You are free to use whatever saucy seasoning you want in place of the Lemon Artichoke Pesto that I used if you like. I realize that it is a pricey item, but I've had a jar sitting in my pantry for over a year and it was about to go bad, so I decided to use it here. Note: it does contain black pepper, and some choose to exclude this from their diets. Be aware of this if you choose to purchase it.
Here are some AIP-friendly pesto recipes you can try:
- Zucchini Pesto Sauce (add fresh lemon juice and drained artichoke hearts to mimic the flavor of the brand I used)
- Cilantro Pesto (different flavor profile but I'm sure it would be delicious in these patties!)
- Basil Pesto (again, different flavor profile but it would be fabulous here!)
Note about canned salmon: I personally just buy the wild caught Alaskan salmon in the big 14.75 oz cans at my grocery store. Royal Pink is the specific brand I typically buy, sometimes Double Q. It's usually less than $5 a can, making it incredibly affordable. It's also on Amazon, but trust me - it will be cheaper at your local grocery store!
5 Ingredient Salmon Patties (Paleo, AIP)
This is a quick and easy Paleo and AIP friendly version of classic fried salmon patties made with just 5 ingredients!
- 1 14.75oz can of wild Alaskan pink salmon
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tb canned pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 to 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 6 Tbsp pesto of choice (I used this Lemon Artichoke)
- fat of choice for frying (I used lard)
- Drain can of salmon and add the meat to a bowl. Remove bones and eat them (they are delicious and good for you!) or just mix them into the patties (you won't know they're in there when you eat them).
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl with salmon and mix to combine evenly.
- Heat fat of choice in a medium to large sized frying pan for about 2 minutes.
- Divide meat mixture into 8 sections. Roll each section into a ball in your hands and flatten into a patty shape.
- Carefully add formed patties to the hot oil and fry for 3-5 minutes per side, until browned and crispy to your liking.
- Take care not to flip the patties before they are ready - repeated flipping will cause them to lose their shape.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cook time: 00 hrs. 05 to 10 mins.
Total time: 10 to 15 mins.
These are affiliate links to the products I use in my own kitchen and trust that you will love to use in yours, too! Click on any image to learn more.