This is a quick meal I came up with in the Fall and have been enjoying a few times a month since. I love that it is so quick and easy to prepare and can be a one-dish complete meal.
I try to buy as much meat as I can from the farmer's market, but the reality is that it is impossible currently for me to never shop from the grocery store. So, I keep an eye on the sales at my local Whole Foods and snag up meats when they are on sale. Recently, organic chicken breasts were ridiculously low (like $4 a pound) so I bought like 6 pounds and froze them in portions.
One of my favorite local farmers is Renaissance Farms, so I bought some of their delicious chorizo so I could make this casserole. Bonus: there were sweet potatoes at the market, too.
You can use another flavorful sausage if you prefer, but there is something special about the intense spiciness and hotness of chorizo paired with chicken breast.
You can just use sweet potatoes and onion or you can add in broccoli to give it some greenery and make it more complete. It works and tastes great either way. I usually add the broccoli but didn't photograph it with it included.
I'll keep this short and sweet, just like the recipe! I'll share my AIP version of this in another post soon!
Chicken Chorizo Casserole (Paleo, gluten-free)
This is the perfect one-dish meal for busy nights, with starch, greens, and delicious protein.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-2" cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pound broccoli florets (I use frozen to keep this recipe easy!)
- 1.5 to 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-2" pieces
- 1 lb fresh (not smoked) chorizo sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1 TB melted lard or fat of choice for greasing dish
- unrefined salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prepare sweet potatoes, onion, and broccoli. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 glass baking dish with lard. Place sweet potatoes on the bottom and stir to lightly coat with the fat, sprinkle onions on top, then place the broccoli on top.
- Cut chicken breast pieces and layer on top of the broccoli. Remove chorizo from casing, crumble, and cover the top evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until fat is bubbling, sweet potatoes and tender, and chicken is cooked through. Do not overcook the chicken.
- Let cool about 5 minutes before serving and enjoy! Reheats well in the oven ~ give it about 10-15 min at 350F.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 40 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.