All the credit for this recipe goes to one of my favorite growers here in the Memphis, TN area: Jack's Farmacy. Last week when I was marveling at his beautiful fennel (first of the season), I said I needed to buy it because I didn't cook with it enough. He said, oh my favorite way to eat it doesn't involve any cooking! And he proceeded to tell me his favorite way to eat it, and I think it's my new favorite way, too!
First, he said, take a grapefruit and supreme it. That's where you carefully cut away all of the peel and then cut the wedges out of the membranes so that there isn't any tough, hard to chew stuff in the middle of your salad. Watch the video below for how to do this. It's really not that hard, but you definitely need a good sharp knife to do it. Here's a video so you can see how to do it:
Next, slice the fennel bulb up nice and thin. Cut up a few big black olives, and toss it all together in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt, and garnish with chopped fennel fronds and you have a beautiful, fresh, unique, and delicious summer salad!
This dish is naturally Paleo and AIP and will definitely make regular appearances here at my house over the coming weeks.
Another tip from Jack: for a complete meal, serve this with a lightly cooked fish of your choice. Thanks, my friend! I will definitely try that soon.
Grapefruit Supreme Summer Salad with Fennel and Olives (Paleo, AIP, vegan)
Huge thanks to one of my favorite local farmers, Jack's Farmacy, for teaching me this recipe. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 grapefruit, cut into supremes
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 5 or 6 black olives, cut into discs
- sprinkle of coarse sea salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- Cut grapefruit into supremes. First, remove the ends of the peel then cut following the curve of the fruit to remove all of the peel and pith. Then, cut out the supremes (wedges) by slicing as close to the membranes as possible and lifting the fruit out. Squeeze the juice from the leftover membrane into your bowl. See video for help cutting supremes.
- If fennel bulb has any blemishes, remove with a knife or sharp peeler. Cut bulb in half lengthwise and cut out the core at the bottom with a v-shaped cut. Thinly slice the bulb into strips.
- Take a portion of the fennel fronds and mince for garnish. Reserve remaining fronts and stalks for another use (other salads, to season meats, stock, etc.)
- Slice olives crosswise into discs.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy!
Cook time: 00 hrs. 0 mins.
Total time: 5 mins.
Recommended Ingredients and Tools
These are affiliate links to the products I trust in my own kitchen. I only recommend products I love!