The Instant Pot is THE kitchen appliance to have in 2017. It exploded in viral popularity in the last half of last year and for dang good reason! It has been such a life saver in my house for when I need to cook meals fast and I failed to plan ahead by thawing meat.
I am looking forward to sharing more Instant Pot recipes with you this year, but you can browse the archives to see some of my existing recipes :-)
This recipe for Egg Roll Soup is from one of my good friends Jennifer Robins of Predominantly Paleo. Her fourth (and sadly final) book Paleo Cooking For Your Instant Pot blew up the Internet these last few weeks, and this tasty recipe is your sneak peek inside! Her book was so crazy popular that it sold out on Amazon before it even launched! Due to it selling out, my copy came later than I would have liked it to, and then I caught an awful cold, so I am behind on sharing all the details with you, but it was worth the wait, I promise!
The Instant Pot had record sales last year and I know there are a lot of folks who ordered one or received one as a present but have NO IDEA how to use it (and c'mon, I know it is also a little scary to be using a HIGH PRESSURE device in your kitchen, eek!) But there is really, truly, nothing to be worried about safety-wise as long as you follow the few very simple operating instructions.
Was I just talking about you? Well then, you definitely need a copy of Paleo Cooking for Your Instant Pot!!
Inside you will find the following chapters:
- Grain-free mornings in a minute
- Proteins in a pinch
- Speedy soups, stews, and sauces
- Quick sides
- Naturally sweetened treats
- Hot beverages in a blink
You really *can* make anything in the Instant Pot! Especially for college students who are living in a dorm, truck drivers, or if you are traveling in a camper.
What about AIP and other restrictions beyond Paleo?
There are 81 recipes in this cookbook, and I think it is very friendly for AIP adaptation. Here are some quick stats (either as-written or easily adaptable):
- 81 are grain-free
- 81 are dairy-free
- 81 are soy-free
- 77 are nut-free
- 58 are egg-free
- 62 are nightshade-free
If you are one of the people who was super excited about my eBook The Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook but ultimately did not purchase since it is not a print book, then I strongly encourage you to pick up a copy of this book! Even though it is not 100% AIP and you will need to make some adjustments to some recipes, you get the benefit of an easy to follow print book with GORGEOUS photos.
Also I know that many people may be following AIP but their family is most definitely not following with them. The recipes in Jen's book will be sure to please the whole family! And it eases the burden on you as the meal provider when you are cooking in the Instant Pot. I know some people have TWO Instant Pot appliances that they use to manage cooking for themselves as AIP and their family as not. These wonder appliances pay for themselves rapidly in time savings.
Recipes I'm adding to my menu...
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Legs
- Beef Stroganoff
- Paleo Breakfast Porridge
- Picnic Perfect Egg Salad
- Tapioca Pudding
- Smoky Mushrooms + Onions
- Fish Green Curry
Also, after you get your copy of the cookbook be sure to check out the awesome troubleshooting post Jen published on her blog here.
Enjoy this recipe and this incredible new cookbook!
Instant Pot Egg Roll Soup (Paleo, AIP)
Ever have an immense craving for egg rolls and need them almost instantly? Well this recipe was born from such a craving. No need to fry with this one, just cook the meat, mix in the veggies and the work is basically done! Egg roll craving satisfied and much healthier at that!
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lard or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound (450g) ground pastured pork
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups (946ml) chicken or beef broth (Instant Pot tutorial here; I like this brand too)
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups (680g) shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon unrefined finely ground salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup coconut aminos
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- In your Instant Pot brown the ground pork in the tablespoon of cooking fat with the diced onion; cook until no longer pink
- Add in the remaining ingredients (except for the tapioca starch), close the id and seal the pressure valve. Now press the Keep Warm/Cancel button, then press the Soup button (high pressure for 30 minutes) and allow to cook. Quick releas the pressure valve upon completion, then remove the lid when safe to do so.
- If you want a thicker soup, remove 1/4 cup of broth from the soup and stir in 2-3 tablespoons of tapioca starch. Reintroduce the slurry and stir well, it will thicken over the next few minutes
- Alternative: If making in a slow cooker, brown the ground pork in the tablespoon of cooking fat over high heat in a skillet for about 8 minutes. Transfer the meat to your slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients except for the tapioca starch. Cook your soup on low for 5 hours. If you would like to thicken it, remove 1/4 cup of the broth and whisk in 2-3 tbsp of tapioca starch. Reintroduce the slurry into the soup and stir to thicken.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.Tags: paleo, AIP, gluten-free, egg-free, autoimmune protocol, Instant Pot, soup, bone broth, cabbage, egg roll